Sunday, May 20, 2012

I never think of money, I think of milk and honey, grinnin like a Cheshire Cat-

I've found it. I've found the catch. I knew this life was to good to be true. The one fly in the B.C. ointment-

365 lawn maintenance.

I just spent the evening of my long-weekend sunday raking the grass clippings from the front lawn. Sigh. Oh well, at least this was typical of my view for most of the week.

"Double rainbow all the way acrooosss the skyyyyy"

I guess I can live with mowing the lawn every 6 days if I get to live in rainbow country. 

Meanwhile- why haven't you posted in 5 days Leigh!?!?

Because I got a job. And all I'm telling any of you is that I'm working as the office manager for an organic personal hygiene products company. Its part time, completely flexible around my theatre schedule, and is work I enjoy, so good stuff. I was hired wednesday, and started the very next day, so lots of adjusting for me. 

The other reason I haven't posted sooner, is that we went (epic travelling music please) to visit Ms. Sarah! We went up last night to take her out to dinner in the wilds of Campbell River, and we wound up in a really excellent sushi joint on the River. Afterward we stocked her up on chocolate, snacks and juice (and timbits for her classmate who has never been to Tim Hortons), then moseyed off for a walk down the river. I was unwisely in evening attire, so I trekked in white strappy sandal heels LIKE A BOSS. Badass me for being outdoorsy in a dress, no? 

The best part of the river walk was when Sarah explained to us all the awesome stuff she learned about white water kayak/canoeing and how to recognize different waves. These are haymakers, the swishy and theoretically fun/safe to ride waves, created by the river bouncing off the bank and back onto itself, not unlike Uncle Tom's tubing Waffle Chop. 





This, however, is an underwater rock, which you can tell because the water is almost going backwards around the rock. These are both theoretically and practically a very sad day for you should you hit one. 


And this is just a general shot of the beautiful river and trail we trekked on. 


We did come across something quite wonderful on the trail- about halfway to the second bridge was a memorial bench, representative of the many people who have had their ashes scattered in the river. It was a beautiful spot and a lovely reminder. 





And this is a banana slug. 
"Lets name it Steve!"
"Steve?"
"It's a pretty name..."
Finally we hiked it back to the car. 


Lovely, no? 
It was a lovely visit. Sarah is doing well, learning tons, and looking forward to applying all the terrifying things she's learning how to do to small children. Rock climbing has been a bit of a bother for her, but it was a brand new skilll whereas the others were at least a little familiar, so no surprise of a learning curve. Her response was of course "Screw you wall, I WILL CLIMB YOU!" And then proceeded to do so, skillfully and politely. Because she's Canadian and thats how they do. 


That catches us up to today, wherein I CLEANED the kitchen, did laundry, did dishes, hooked up the new shower head, caught up on e-mails, vaccumed and cleaned the living room/couchular area, bought paint, made lunch, raked the lawn, and was generally useful almost all day. There might have been a little bit of Diablo, I won't lie. Now I'm helping Michael make dinner, and planning out the groceries for the rest of the week. And then maybe a little more diablo before bed. Maybe. 

Tomorrow, project Hobbit Hole begins. 

And now, I shall leave you with some joy. 

"Oh! Uh...Hai."



3 comments:

  1. Important advice, go buy the mulching attachment for your lawn mower, you won't have to rake grass clippings again & it is better for your lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily do so- except that it's the landlord's lawnmower. But, they did get the grass clipping pick-uppy thing back this week, so that's made things significantly easier!

      Delete
  2. Double Rainbow and a kittay in the tub! WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!????

    ReplyDelete