Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Jelly Belly Wigglin, Laughin and a Gigglin, honey that's the way I am!





When you get right down to it, life isn't terribly complicated. We are born, we grow, we learn, we get jobs that are almost entirely unrelated to what we learn, we make money which we then use in a perpetual cycle of purchases to maintain food, shelter and transportation (also, in our case, various video games and books).
Oh, and clothing. No naked people in this house!

So why has it taken me so damn long to write this blog post?

Its not as though a great many exciting things have happened- well, exciting for our standards. Life continues in its little cycle of work and play, work and play (way more work than play right now, but we're getting there) and slowly but surely we make our little path towards the holidays. But that's not what you're here to read about. Lets recap.

OCTOBER





Most of October consisted of THE PLAY (I will use capitals here to imply the level of importance this has in my life right now) and Loki getting huge. At some point there was Thanksgiving, which we spent with Terry and Nenna, Sarah's really lovely grandparents who came down for a visit and promptly thought that the farm was lovely (which it is) and that our lives are very quaint (which they are). For the record, love those two to death.


So why is THE PLAY so important? Because surprise surprise we forgot what its like to be a new theatre company starting out. We forgot what it was like to not be taken seriously. We forgot just how hard it is to get people to come out and audition for you when people don't know how awesome you are.

We forgot that people drop out.

So the first to go was the woman we asked to play the lead, which given the age disparity in our cast left only one person to pick that up- me. Ok, cool, no problem. So lets just go with in October, we switched up me for the female lead- did I mention romantic lead, which is not my strong suit- and we rehearsed a lot.

Also, this happened, and I laughed until I cried.




NOVEMBER

Michael's favorite holiday is Halloween. His second favorite holiday is Dia De Los Muertos, the Day of the Dead. His birthday falls right after them. So usually we have a big Halloween/birthday party. It's harder to do that when you know less people, so instead we had a Dia de los Muertos party with the cast. And you know me, party = themed foods and decorations. BEHOLD! This is what happens when Leigh is set loose on Mexican culture. 


These are Sugar Skulls, a traditional treat. Usually they are covered with colored sugar and icing, but that took a little more time than I had, so the cast and I painted them with food coloring. 

The lovely Rosalind, who plays my mother. 
The equally lovely (I swear, don't judge by the picture)  Jan.


Prepare for the three cutest girls EVER. Cute #1, Sarah.



Super cute #2, Helen


Super Cute #3, Anna!


These are fantastic in coffee.
Another wonderful tradition is the creation of an altar. It is believed that the day of the Dead is the day that the spirits of the departed make the journey from the afterlife to visit us back here on earth. Altars are built in honour of those spirits, and covered in objects and foods that were important to the spirit in life. Our altar includes items from mine, Michael's and Sarah's families. We and the cast also wrote messages to those we miss on flash paper, which we then burned at sunset. We may also have had a little whiskey, but its spirit honouring whiskey, so that's ok. 

This was very moving for all of us. Until Loki was left un-attended and ate all the spirit honouring food. And 27 mini cupcakes I left on the counter. Lessons for everyone.

So November was off to a good start. We found a wonderful off leash dog park for Loki, who proceeded to fall head over heels in crush (or maybe its just us humans) with a gorgeous Malamute named Tripper. 

You just try and tell me that he is not the Ryan Gosling of dogs.

And LOOK HOW CUTE THEY ARE TOGETHER. LOOK AT IT. NOW!


They would have such beautiful puppies.....

But, they won't. They both get the snip snip soon. Sigh. Ah, for the things that could have been...

Things that WERE however, included the weather getting chilly. As in Nov here = A very mild September in Michigan. Let me put it this way- its nearly Christmas, and last week there were new pansy blossoms. Just sayin. 

Because the weather gets a touch chilly, the Grumps (my daily older gents who come to Starbucks and sit outside smoking and bullshitting) complain about how cold their outdoor seats get. So, with some donated fabric from my shift boss Heather, I made them these chair covers. 



During this process, I had a great deal of help from two members of the household. 


How I get anything done is a mystery. 

Although, I did finally finish my summer dress. 

It does not look as flattering as I had hoped. But, I learned a lot from making it!


General updates for the month of November involving people who are not me. 

Cam- Doing awesomely at work. Being trained for big important jobby things, like counting lots of money and generally being in charge. 

Sarah- also doing awesomely, and being trained up to be a dog trainer. Published her book online, and generally bamfs about with Loki.

Michael- Blowing everyone at work away, already up for a promotion in February, and irreplaceable. Generally speaking, most awesome husband. 

THE PLAY

In November, the guy playing the male lead dropped out. Leaving us to shuffle Cam into the top spot. Romantic lead opposite me. Piles of awkward. As Cam described it, "I can't kiss you. You're my best friend's wife. It violates the Bro Code."

But he'll do it. For Theatre. If he has to.


DECEMBER

December, up until two days ago, has been decidedly uneventful. We've all been working a lot (just not necessarily me, and not necessarily at Starbucks). I did, however, pick up a paying performance gig with my friend Jan from the show. Ready for this? I promise you're not. 


For the record, super proud of the hat. I made it myself. 




Meanwhile, my awesome sweater from Dascha arrived. Thanks mom!





IN OTHER NEWS

I recently had the opportunity to talk to my good friend Reed. Reed asks the following excellent question.
What is the truth about Loki?

There are many truths!

Truth #1 No food is safe around this dog. We have gone through 27 mini cupcakes, two blocks of butter, three loaves of bread, and various leftovers that I was going to eat and then forgot that we have a 75 pound waste disposal unit made of fur.

Truth #2 She is very sweet. When she wants to be.

Truth #3 She's freaking hilarious.

Truth #4 She's a ton of work.

Truth #5 She's housebroken!!! Yay!!!!

Truth #6 She's getting huge. Observe.




I think thats everything for the moment. Stay tuned for a special Christmas update in about...whenever I get around to it. 

Love, 

Leigh






















2 comments:

  1. Link to purchase Sarah's book, please...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute picture at the top. Great update! I love the dress Leigh, it is uber cute! I laughed t the signs, too. ^_^ Just glad things are going well, you know? I miss you guys and the house and the mountains and the sea and EVERYTHING! And I want to meet this Loki. She looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete