Monday, December 24, 2012

An Important Christmas Posting, for our Friends and Families.

Twas The Night Before Christmas

What? Me? Eat clothes?
Twas the night before Christmas and through the farmhouse, 
Only Loki was stirring-(She was eating my blouse)


The stockings were hung on the faux hearth facade, 
In hopes that St. Nick wouldn't find us too odd. 

The kittens were nestled all snug in our bed,
The tips of their tails tucked up over their heads.
"Asleep? Das wut you tink!"
The four of us humans, all close on the couch, 
Were watching the Grinch be a Christmassy grouch.
When out in the paddock there came such a din, 
We thought we'd forgotten to let the dog in!
I threw off my blankets, and put on my shoes
And ran to the back porch to find out the news. 

The mountain beyond me was crested in white, 
The horses all stabled and snug for the night. 
When what from the mist and the frost should recur,
But Minerva the fairy, I know it was her!

She came on a snowboard as crimson as holly,
Punk-gothic, Sardonic, and clearly not jolly.
Her appearance tonight, it must be conditional,
It could not be plainer- she was non-traditional.


She saw me and said, in a voice like a stone, 
"I'm here 'cause you're spending your Christmas alone.
You've bucked all tradition, all custom, convention,
This new type of Christmas has earned my attention.
You watch silly movies, eat non-Christmas food.
Can you tell me your Christmas is still just as good?"


I smiled at the tiny and glowering fey.
No matter her viewpoint, I knew what to say.
"Traditions are lovely, important and grand. 
But when Christmas is here, here's what I understand.
Whatever we eat and whatever we do,
There's one thing at Christmas that's always been true.
Religious or atheist, pagan or not,

We love one another- that's all that we've got!
The stranger next door, or the friend on the street,
Giving peace and goodwill makes our Christmas complete!"


Her pale brow had furrowed, a snarky reply
Seemed to rise to her lips, when Cam let out a sigh.
He pulled out a large box, opened up the flat lid,
And next, oh then next, do you know what he did?!
He held out the last slice, of our last pizza pie,
And a tiny dark tear coalesced in her eye. 



"You're welcome," said Sarah, "You want to come in?
We were going to watch Star Wars- you'd like Qui-gon Jinn."
She smiled at us all as we stood in the cold,
A smile that was bittersweet, lonely and old.
Her answer was silent, she nodded so slow, 
And said softly "Are you guys fans of Techno?"

We laughed and went in, Michael got on Groove Shark,
And soon it was dub-step that rang through the dark.

So with techno and pizza the farmhouse made merry,
And rocked out to Madeon, with a punk-gothic Fairy.
And Michael summed up, as only he could- 
"It's not Christmas at home... but its pretty damn good!"


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for something to make me smile. Missing you all on this first Christmas with you so far away. May it be merry for you in whatever manner makes your hearts glow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!!!! So does Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Miss you guys. ps I need your address to send you your gift.

    ReplyDelete